Sunday, August 23, 2015

Post Necro

Well, NecronomiCON 2015 has come and gone. I didn't have time to update while it was happening because some of us were actually working the event. But I'm home now, pleasantly exhausted and a few dollars richer for having sold some of my art.

We started the festivities on Thursday night, Lovecraft's 125th birthday, with a massive bash at The Facade on Weybosset where the highlights were the Narragansett Brewing Company's sale of their Lovecraftian beers: Innsmouth Old Ale was by far the best and most popular. The nearby firepit shot sparks and smoke up into the petulant sky, bringing with it the smell of roasting meat and warm flatbread, both of which were eagerly consumed. The music was mysterious and hypnotizing, provided by local band Alec Redfearn and the Eyesores. Their lovely music transformed a mere street party into a gypsy caravan carnival/ceremonial summoning of the Old Ones. I was content to let it wash over me as I wandered, drinking beer, eating meat and bread and watching the flames shoot up into the sky.

Then the headlining act took the stage. Now, I'm not a native Rhode Islander. I've lived here for four years but I wasn't born here, so I didn't realize just how much of a big deal The Big Nazo were/are. It took about 30 seconds to realize how much these guys have earned the adoration of their fans. They're a big, balloony, Banana-Splits-cartoony, candy colored volcano of orgasmic brilliance, exploding with rapier wit, sassy boogie moves and pure, rawbone rock and roll talent. I haven't had that much fun in a long time. It also marks the first time I've ever kissed a life-sized rubber puppet full on the mouth. Yes, I was drunk. No, I regret nothing.

Cthulhu laid down the boogie and played that funky music til he died, and rose again.


Ms. Black Goat of the Wood with a Thousand Young
It was a grumpy, humid weekend here in Providence weatherwise, always threatening to rain but never actually doing it. Steamy, sweaty, muggy, soupy, sticky, armpitty, seven-sticks-of-solid-deoderanty weather. But in the dealers room of the Providence Convention Center, we had air conditioning, high spirits and enthusiastic Lovecraft fans, all of whom were pleasant, generous and not at all grumpy despite the sullen sky. There were so many amazing things to see and buy that my own collection of products seemed very mediocre by comparison, and I was sorely tempted to spend the money I earned on the most gorgeous statue of Shub Niggaruth I have ever seen, designed by Joe Broers of The Miskatonic Valley Fine Arts. At $65 she was a steal, and so achingly lovely that I kept sneaking over to stroke her horns and shooting the death glare at anyone else who dared stop to admire her. She's at the top of my Christmas List. Hint hint.





Just as tempting was Hibernacula, whose jewelry was so exquisite it almost hurt to look at. Voodoo charms, zodiacal symbols, delicate bird skull necklaces, intertwined tentacles designed to rest perfectly in the hollow of one's throat, a dark rainbow of Eldritch eyeballs staring suspended from an aged chain, antlers, skeleton keys... It was all so colorful and sugar-spun steampunk perfect that I had to restrain myself from licking it. I wanted everything at that booth. The girl at the booth (I forgot her name because I suck) happily told us how she hand crafted these treasures, and wasn't at all high on the fumes of her own brilliance, even though if anyone deserves to be intoxicated by their ridiculously amazing talent, it's the people behind these majestic pieces. Take a look at their photos, don't forget to breathe. And remember that I got to see them up close and touch them! ENVY ME!

The legends of Lovecraftian fiction.
It was a cacophonous affair, bright and noisy and exuberant. Ramsey Campbell strolled through a few times with his elegant wife Jenny, stopping and talking to everyone as if they were normal people and not the King and Queen of the NecronomiCON. Ramsey was sweet and jovial, taking my hand in both of his when I rudely barged up and introduced myself. Total sweetheart, that man. I'm always shocked when I meet a famous person and they're not a complete and utter asshole. I've been disappointed so many times. But Ramsey made up for all of it, and the gracious ivory cameo that was Jenny Campbell was a single perfect rose. I'm not even kissing ass here, guys: I'm not getting paid for this. I have nothing to gain, and I want nothing. I just think people should know who the truly good and decent celebrities are and how appreciative they are of their fans. Never a dirty look or a sullen response: everyone there was genuinely lovely and happy to be talking about all things Lovecraft with anyone who happened by.

Abyssian Gazer by Nick Gucker
 This morning I showed up half an hour late but with four boxes of Dunkin' Donuts for the hard working vendors. One box for NecroPress, and I hope Marc Michaud got one before they were devoured by his staff. The branch I went to did not have maple bars - WTF?!, how can you not have maple bars?!?!?! - but Nick Gucker was happy with a double chocolate. I swear, that dude is happy with everything. And why the hell wouldn't he be? I'd be eternally happy too if I were as crazy talented as he. Jason Eckhardt almost melted with happiness when confronted by the sight of half a dozen donuts from which to choose. I almost melted with happiness at the sight of his intricately rendered artwork hanging framed behind his table, reproductions of which were being snapped up faster than...well, donuts in New England. The poor guy had been up late singing cans of Narragansett Innsmouth Ale to be sold at the 'con and was half paralyzed with writer's cramp, no doubt.

I cannot possibly list every single amazing person, unique sight and inspirational work of art that I saw this weekend. It's late, and sadly the birthday celebration is over and I must return to the drudgery of work tomorrow, which means its time to wrap this up and get thee to bed. But I can't close without giving Sam Gafford of Ulthar Press and his wife Carol a special shout out - for working so hard, for sticking it out until the final hour despite their fatigue, for being total legends, for being kind and patient and sweet to the many, many people who picked up their beautiful books, and mostly for allowing me to sit with them for three days, for letting me steal part of their table to sell my wares, for forgiving me when I forgot to bring them utensils with their lunch and - in general - for putting up with me. It was nice to be made welcome in the presence of so many stars - and by stars I mean the celestial bodies of the black variety which hang low in the sky over Carcosa.

See you in 2017!
65 Weybosset Street
Providence, RI. 02903

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...